Lesson 9E: Routes to UT and Texas A&M
[hana-flv-player video=”http://allinoneacademics.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/All-in-One-Lesson-9-Routes-to-UT-and-AM-High.flv” width=”400″ description=”” player=”1″ autoload=”true” autoplay=”false” loop=”false” autorewind=”true” /]
s you know, our most widely recognized public universities are getting more competitive each year, and even excellent students may not get in on their first shot. However you don’t need to freak out. You may be offered another option.
What does CAP stand for? [show-hide] Coordinated Admissions Program [/show-hide]
Do you have to apply to CAP? [show-hide]No. As an applicant for UT Austin, you are automatically considered for CAP[/show-hide]
Where do you spend your first year of college in CAP? [show-hide]Any of the CAP schools listed below[/show-hide]
If I get rejected from UT, do I automatically get the CAP Program? [show-hide]Most people get CAP, but they may only get offers of admission at certain schools, depending upon high school GPA and test scores.[/show-hide]
What are the requirements to transfer after freshman year?
1. Minimum number of hours: [show-hide]30[/show-hide]
2. Minimum GPA: [show-hide]3.2[/show-hide]
3. At least one math course beyond [show-hide]College Algebra[/show-hide]
4. All courses must be taken during the [show-hide]two regular semesters of college, not summer[/show-hide]
Which specific colleges can you enter at UT Austin after doing CAP?
[show-hide]Natural sciences, Liberal Arts, Undergraduate Studies[/show-hide]
What are some benefits of doing the CAP Program?
[show-hide]Automatic admission to UT. Start at a smaller university. Excellent advising.[/show-hide]
What shows up on your diploma? [show-hide]University of Texas! (remember, only the graduating institution shows up on your diploma) [/show-hide]
Which Texas schools participated in the CAP Program this year?
[show-hide]UT San Antonio
UT Permian Basin
UT El Paso
UT Pan American[/show-hide]
The Blinn TEAM Program
What does TEAM stand for? [show-hide]Transfer Enrollment at A&M[/show-hide]
Where do you go to school for the first year? [show-hide]Blinn and Texas A&M[/show-hide]
How many students participated in Blinn Team in 2012? [show-hide]About 1,000![/show-hide]
Requirements to transfer fully from the TEAM Program into A&M:
– Number of hours required at Blinn: [show-hide]45[/show-hide]
– Number of hours required at Texas A&M: [show-hide]15[/show-hide]
– Overall GPA: [show-hide]3.0[/show-hide]
– How long do you have to complete those requirements? [show-hide]Two years[/show-hide]
What are the benefits of the TEAM Program?
[show-hide] 1. You get to live on campus
2. You are already taking classes at Texas A&M
3. You get special, close advising
4. You are guaranteed admission to Texas A&M[/show-hide]
How do you apply to the Blinn TEAM Program? [show-hide]You just click on ApplyTexas that you’re interested in being considered![/show-hide]
What majors can you choose as part of Blinn TEAM? [show-hide]Any[/show-hide]
Students who are in Blinn TEAM can also decide to try to transfer to Texas A&M early. The only thing to worry about is making sure you’ve taken the right classes!!!
The Program for System Admission (PSA)
In the PSA Program, you will enroll in one of the institutions listed on page 65 in your workbook.
You will need to complete the following requirements:
– Number of hours required: [show-hide]24[/show-hide]
– Minimum GPA required: [show-hide]3.0[/show-hide]
There are certain majors that specifically participate in PSA, and if you follow the link on the website, you can see which of those they are.
What’s important to note is that there are two schools that are specifically excluded:
[show-hide] 1. Business
2. Engineering [/show-hide]
However, if you want to major in one of those programs, you still can! You will just have to apply through the normal transfer application.
– In this case, you want to be extremely careful about the courses you take!
– Make sure that all of the courses you take match the major you want!
Comparing PSA and TEAM
The PSA Program is designed to last [show-hide]one year[/show-hide]
TEAM technically takes [show-hide]two years[/show-hide]
TEAM’s location: [show-hide]College Station[/show-hide]
PSA’s location: [show-hide]Another A&M campus[/show-hide]
Majors available for TEAM: [show-hide]Any[/show-hide]
Majors that go along with PSA: [show-hide]all but business and engineering[/show-hide]
Which program is likely to be less expensive, and why? [show-hide]PSA because the housing will be cheaper.[/show-hide]